- Full Time
REPORTS TO: PRODUCTION MANAGER
LOCATION: BELTSVILLE, MD
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
POSITION STATUS: FULL TIME– hours are variable. Will include some weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be present during all load-ins, tech weeks, strike, and annual gala.
PURPOSE OF POSITON
The Technical Director is responsible for the planning and execution of all technical aspects of Imagination Stage programming in order to ensure the safe, efficient, and timely production of all events. The Technical Director will also be responsible for the daily operations, supervision, delegation of duties, and administration of the Scene Shop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the planning, evaluation, scheduling, implementation, engineering and supervision of all scenic elements involved in organization programming. Collaborate and coordinate with Lighting, Sound, Props, and Costumes as needed based on the designs.
- Creates detailed materials and labor cost-outs and build schedules for each production, and works closely with designers, directors and production manager to establish build priorities. Attends all design meetings, production meetings and technical rehearsals.
- Collaborate with the Scenic Charge Artist on the scenic art cost-out and integration of the set build schedule with the paint schedule.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Technical Director to ensure that all projects are completed on time and within budget. Actively participates in budget planning for current and future seasons.
- Responsible for creation of shop working drawings needed for execution of designs using Vectorworks.
- Oversee all construction, load-ins, and strikes of scenery and set pieces. Provide additional construction support as needed through carpentry, welding, rigging, work with plastics, fabrics, and other set related materials in accordance with plans provided.
- Supervise Assistant Technical Director, staff, part-time carpenters, technicians, apprentices, interns and volunteers in conjunction with the Assistant Technical Director. Actively recruits production staff and overhire as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring safe, organized, and efficient working areas in all Imagination Stage scene shops, theatres, and production storage areas.
- Oversee maintenance of tools and equipment in said locations, and assist in making physical improvements as necessary.
- Actively participates in long range planning to serve equipment and facility needs of the theatre.
- Oversee purchasing of scenic materials and supplies, while reporting and recording expenditures in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Serve as primary emergency technician outside of regular hours in order to assist with the prompt resolution of show-related incidents, and ensure the production can safely proceed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates will have experience working in a professional theatre environment, with 3-5 years previous experience as a Technical Director preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience in carpentry, welding, or construction environments are encouraged to apply.
- Expertise in carpentry, rigging and welding, using standard theatrical construction techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and create informative and well-organized working drawings using Vectorworks.
- Superior attention to detail, while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction.
- Ability to supervise staff and lead a team required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work within multiple budget lines.
- Understanding of the design process and ability to clearly communicate with designers.
- Strong understanding of shop safety and PPE usage.
- Excellent in-person, email, and phone communication skills.
- General computer skills, including Microsoft Office products and Google Workspace.
- Familiarity with CNC router programming and operation.
- Working knowledge of stage machinery such as motors and pneumatics.
- Working knowledge of technical theatre including but not limited to lights, sound, properties, projections and scenic art.
- Thorough understanding of how the various elements of the production process intersect and their impacts on planning and execution of the production process as a whole.
The physical conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to walk and/or stand for long periods.
- Able to sit in an office environment for long periods.
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver up to 50-70 lbs. repeatedly alone, and up to 100 lbs. with others.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Ability to work in high places such as catwalks and scissor lifts.
- Valid driver’s license and able to safely operate a motor vehicle (up to 26’ box truck)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, and are in line with those of the live performance industry. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work will take place indoors in office, warehouse, and stage settings, with occasional outdoor work in all weather conditions. Lighting conditions vary from dim/dark to very bright and ambient sound levels can vary from very quiet to loud, with variations in duration.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary: $48,000
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Transit/Parking benefit
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Technical Director” and your name in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.