Master Electrician/AV Supervisor
- Full Time
POSITION: Master Electrician/AV Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
LOCATION: Bethesda, MD
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full-time – hours are variable. Will include some weekends, evenings, holidays and the annual gala
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Master Electrician/AV Supervisor is responsible for the implementation of all lighting, sound & projections designs in the professional, student, and theater for change productions, including but not limited to the ordering of necessary materials, supervising of all crews for hang & focus calls, and maintaining the lighting and sound systems in two theater spaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the planning, evaluation, scheduling, implementation, and supervision of all lighting, sound, and projections elements involved in organization programming. Collaborate and coordinate with Scenery, Props, and Costumes as needed based on the designs.
- Work with Production Manager to budget for all productions and create lighting, sound, and projections cost-outs for each production
- Secure overhire crew members for all electrics, sound, projection calls, and show calls as needed (specifically light board programmers and sound board operators)
- Run hang and focus calls in both the Lerner and Reeve theatres
- Plan and install all set practical lighting projects including but not limited to RGB LED tape, foot lights, etc.
- Performs all electrics, sound, and projections notes received from the production team
- Troubleshoot problems involving lighting, sound and projection control equipment
- Advise Rental Manager on staffing and technology needs for rentals
- Maintain all lighting, sound, and projections equipment and schedule yearly maintenance including genie maintenance. Maintain the Bethesda scene shop and electrics/sound/projections storage
- Keep up to date inventory information for the Lerner and Reeve Theatres and track all show and rehearsal equipment needs
- Ensure that all lighting, sound and projection equipment is stored and organized.
- Determine purchase needs and work with Production Manager to acquire necessary items
- Attend all show design meetings, professional theater designer runs, tech rehearsals, and previews, and attend first day of tech for student show productions
- Train Production Apprentices in the basics of lighting and sound
- Support the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible.
- Contribute to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability.
- Experience in theatrical lighting, sound, and projections
- Experience using software including Lightwright 6, Vectorworks 2022, ETC EOS Consoles and programming, Excel
- Working Knowledge of Qlab, and Isadora
- Experience with sound boards, Yamaha preferred
- Ability to read and execute lighting paperwork including but not limited to light plots, channel hook-ups, instrument schedules and magic sheets
- Basic knowledge of automated lighting, color scrollers, and I-Cues
- Ability to wire and solder preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Understanding of the theatrical design process
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Ability to work productively as member of an effective team
- Ability to be on call on weekends and work some weekends and evenings
- Must have Drivers License and be comfortable driving cargo van
- Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) initiatives and values
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Push, lift, and maneuver up to 50-70 lbs repeatedly both alone or with others
- Assemble and climb scaffolding and ladders, drive scissor lift, and work at heights
- Navigate narrow spaces such as storage closets, trap room, and hallways
- Sit at a desk and spend a portion of the day using a computer
- Stand or walk for long portions of the day
- Frequent use of fine motor control with wiring and other similar tasks
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of the position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary: $50,000-$65,000
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Mileage reimbursement for offsite travel
- Transit/Parking benefit
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Master Electrician/AV Supervisor” in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.