Interim Assistant Costume Shop Manager/Props Coordinator
- Full Time
REPORTS TO: Costume Shop Manager
LOCATION: Bethesda, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full Time – Monday-Friday, when possible. Will include some weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be present during all tech weeks, strike and annual gala.
POTENTIAL TO BECOME FULL TIME IN JANUARY
The Interim Assistant Costume Shop Manager is responsible for assisting the Costume Shop Manager in the successful execution of costume designs for both the professional and student seasons as well as overseeing the execution of props designs, maintenance of props storage, and pulling for rehearsals as needed.
PRIMARY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Costume Shop Manager on the cutting and draping of costumes for the professional and student theatre productions.
- Assist designers and costume shop manager in all costume fittings.
- Sew, either by machine or by hand, the costumes for professional and student theatre shows, as assigned by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Fill in for Costume Shop Manager as needed.
- Assist the Costume Shop Manager with alterations, repair of costume pieces, and general maintenance of costumes during the run of a show.
- Oversee wardrobe crew including creating show paperwork.
- Maintain the costume and prop storage areas and keep an up-to-date inventory of available stock, including pulling costume pieces for rehearsals and productions and the restocking of costume items once returned.
- Attend technical rehearsals for the professional and student theatre shows as needed to ensure costume shop coverage of all Imagination Stage productions.
- Pull and repair props as needed for Theatre for Change and Theatre for the Very Young shows.
- Purchasing of props for student shows as needed and overseeing student show Prop Coordinators.
- Coordinate with props designers for professional shows by sharing stock information and purchasing items as needed.
- Support the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible.
- Contribute to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Two to three years of professional experience in a costume and/or prop shop.
- Expertise in stitching, working with commercial patterns or cutting and draping.
- Craft skills (painting, dying, sculpting, etc.) a plus.
- General knowledge of theatrical costume construction techniques.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Understanding of the theatrical design process.
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver up to 30 - 50lbs repeatedly either alone or with others.
- Ability to climb ladders and work in high places
- Ability to style wigs is a plus
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: $41,000-$49,000
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Transit/Parking benefit
- Free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Interim Assistant Costume Shop Manager” in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.