Director of Production
- Full Time
REPORTS TO: FOUNDING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
LOCATION: BETHESDA, MD
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
POSITION STATUS: FULL TIME, Monday-Friday, with some evenings and weekends.
PURPOSE OF POSITON
The Director of Production is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Production Department (scenic, paints, costumes, properties, electrics, sound, projections), ensuring that all Imagination Stage mainstage, education, and community productions, and the production elements of marketing/fundraising events and rentals are executed within budget in a safe, efficient, and timely manner while maintaining a high level of artistic quality and integrity. The Director of Production balances the wants and needs of artistic staff on both resident and guest shows with the capacity and well-being of the production team. Their goal is to achieve best possible results both technically and artistically within limits of money and time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Hire, mentor, motivate and supervise Production Department staff and miscellaneous crew. Full-time direct reports include the Technical Director, Master Electrician, Sound/Projections Manager, Scenic Charge Artist, Costume Shop Manager, and Production / Rentals Coordinator.
● Hire and contract Stage Managers and Designers (set, lights, costumes, projections, puppets, props, sound, etc.), and oversee hiring and contracting of Crew and other Production area personnel for the Lerner and Reeve Theatres, Student Productions and Theater for Change (TfC).
● Oversee the Production Department human resources tasks related to personnel issues and payroll, while ensuring that all associated paperwork is accurately completed and processed.
● Orient and train Stage Managers for all productions.
● Ensure that COVID-19 and other occupational safety and health protocols are maintained for production personnel in keeping with AEA and IStage policies.
Planning & Implementation (30%):
● Work with Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director on season planning, scheduling,
and budgeting for the Lerner and Reeve Theatres productions.
● Work with the Director of Education, Associate Director of Education, and Associate Artistic Director for Theatre for Change on season planning, scheduling, and budgeting for Student Productions and Theatre for Change.
● Oversee each production from conceptual production meetings to closing/storage. Monitor and
communicate closely with all members of the Production Department during all phases of
the design and build process. Monitor rehearsal and performance reports to ensure that all
notes are addressed in a timely manner.
● Serve as main point of contact for Imagination Stage Designers, ensuring that their design
can be achieved given the available resources. Ensure that cost outs of production designs
occur in a timely manner. When necessary, facilitate discussions to scale down designs when
they are over budget.
● Attend, run and/or assign oversight for all production processes and meetings. Production meetings occur for all Lerner Theatre productions, Reeve Theatre productions, student productions, Theatre for Change and for the gala or other fundraising and brand-building events. Production Meetings also occur following every technical rehearsal and preview in the Lerner and Reeve theatres.
● Attend or assign oversight of all technical rehearsals and previews (Mainstage, Theatre for Change, Theater for the Very Young, and Student Productions). Serve as liaison between Imagination Stage and guest artists to maintain production quality, troubleshoot and make decisions regarding labor and budget constraints, schedules, and other resources.
● In conjunction with Production Team, create and implement all season scheduling related to
production: season calendars, rehearsal and tech schedules, production design meetings,
design deadlines and all show related scheduling.
● Coordinate and approve requests requiring use of the theatres, production/technical staff
and/or cast members that come from other departments (Marketing, Development, Rentals,
Education, Artistic, etc.).
● Approve all backstage tours, coordinating appropriate routes and tour guides.
● Manage the production budget processes for Imagination Stage’s mainstage and early
childhood seasons, TfC and Learning Through Theatre-DC touring productions, and advise on budgeting for Student Productions.
● In conjunction with the Production Team, develop an annual list of assets to be acquired, repaired and disposed, prioritizing the need for such items and obtaining quotes/bids for items and services.
● Ensure proper tracking, processing and maintaining of production-related expenses for all productions for materials and Overhire Labor. Work with Production Department staff to keep shows at or under budget
● Ensure all requests for budget advances and expense reimbursement requests are processed on a timely basis.
● Approve biweekly payroll for all Overhire Labor, Designers, Actors, Stage Managers and
other creative team members.
● Serve as the secondary emergency contact for Imagination Stage staff and building alarm monitoring
company, receiving and evaluating emergency calls during non-work hours regarding
production, maintenance, security and life safety
- Support the Production and Rentals Coordinator
- Help Coordinator identify and hire staff to run rental event
- Work with Coordinator and Facilities/IT Coordinator to ensure that all rentals are adequately staffed and that use of space is coordinated with other Imagination Stage departments in Skedda
- Support the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible.
- Contribute to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability.
● 8+ years of professional production management experience in a theatre environment required
● Proficiency with Microsoft office suite (specifically Excel and Word) and Google products
● Knowledge of theatrical production, design and build processes required
● Detail orientation and strong organizational and supervisory skills
● Experience working as part of a production management team
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Strong problem solving capabilities, ability to manage conflicting priorities between artistic and production, superb diplomatic skill
● Knowledge of AEA and USA agreements preferred
● Flexibility and a good sense of humor a must
The staff member performing this job will have to
● Move furniture such as tables and chairs for event set up and tear down, move production
materials such as set pieces and lights
● Capable of lifting items weighing up to 50 lbs.
● Navigate narrow spaces such as storage closets and hallways and climb ladders
● Spend a portion of the day using a computer and related accessories, including virtual meeting attendance
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
● Annual Salary: $75,000-$80,000
● 100% coverage for HMO individual health insurance
● Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
● Transit/Parking benefit
● Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Director of Production” and your name in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.