Director of Finance and Operations
- Full Time
REPORTS TO Managing Director
POSITION STATUS Full time/exempt
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) oversees day-to-day financial, information technology, and facilities aspects of Imagination Stage, Inc. The DFO oversees accounting activity to accurately report income and expenses, develops the budget, directs financial forecasts for the organization, prepares and monitors budgets for various grant needs, and
manages resource allocations for various projects. The DFO directs business operations in alignment with the strategy and planning of the organization’s strategic goals and objectives, directs the implementation of projects and process improvement opportunities, collaborates with department leaders to manage special projects, and liaises with all departments as needed to address business operations needs and challenges.
Direct Reports: Staff Accountant, Facilities & IT Coordinator, Database Manager Indirect supervisory responsibility: contracted accounting support, contracted IT support, contracted maintenance support, contracted Tessitura support
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Management (Direct report: Staff Accountant)
● Oversee the preparation of accounting entries (accrual, by department/class). Conduct research and analysis by accessing and navigating financial systems. Approve certain expenses prior to payment approval. Ensure standards are met (GAAP). Ensure accurate coding of expenses.
● Generate financial forecasts and budgets driven by identifying key assumptions, dependencies, and business priorities in tandem with department leaders. Analyze trends in revenues, expenses and other areas of business, and highlighting risk and opportunities. Review department expenditures to ensure compliance with budget allocations.
● Provide regular financial reports to leadership including routine monthly financial statements (P&L, Balance Sheet), performance against budget, appropriate periodic forecasting and cash flow projections.
● Lead the audit process with Staff Accountant, ensuring that a clean, timely annual audit/990 filing is delivered to the Board and funders.
● Identify significant variances between actual year-to-date financials and budgeted expectations.
● Establish an efficient and timely annual operating budget process; work with leadership, executive staff, and the board’s finance committee to develop the annual operating budget for presentation to the board for discussion and approval.
● Oversee and monitor annual budget implementation and present and interpret the financial status of the organization to the board and executive staff regularly.
● Create a capital budget for finance committee discussion and approval, and monitor all capital related spending and acquisitions.
● Work with the Managing Director and Director of Development to create, implement, and monitor capital fundraising initiatives and major operating fundraising initiatives.
● Work with Development team to ensure grant financials reporting is accurate, timely, and demonstrative of IStage programs and priorities.
Facility and Technology Oversight (Direct report: Facilities & IT Coordinator) ● Support Facilities Coordinator to facilitate all activities necessary to ensure safe, clean, compliant, and fully functioning buildings, including offices, education studios, theatres, tech areas, off-site scene shop, off-site storage facilities, off-site events spaces, and off-site programming spaces.
● Support Facilities Coordinator in oversight of vendor contracts and relationships for engineering and facilities maintenance.
● Delegate maintenance of compliance calendar for various annual inspections, including summer camp inspection from MD Dept of Health.
● Propose and review all capital budget expenditures, subject to leadership and board approval.
● Support Facilities Coordinator in maintainence of all operating systems in the facility, IT, and administration, keeping the organization on top of the curve for technology and other needs alongside contracted IT support
● Special operations projects as assigned
Data Management (Direct report: Database Manager)
● Work with the Institutional Development team, including
Marketing/Communications, Development, and Patron Services, to ensure database and online infrastructure to manage and deliver campaigns to Imagination Stage’s various publics in the most effective and efficient manner.
● Support Database Manager to continually refine data input and retrieval processes in Tessitura for efficient use by all IStage relevant departments.
● Support growth of organizational capacity to leverage data analytics and visualization to ensure optimal decision-making and visioning.
Management and Administration/General
● As a member of the executive team, share responsibility for ensuring that IStage’s philosophy and mission statement are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization to ensure an effective and committed staff team.
● Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify opportunities for efficiencies in organizational processes or programs and resolve challenges. Provide data analysis and reporting to leadership.
● Organize problem solves, raise issues, and integrate initiatives, solutions and actions in a liaison capacity for management, and to ensure successful implementation of business unit initiatives.
● Work with leadership to develop, execute, evaluate and revise the Strategic Plan and resource allocations.
● Work with leadership to develop, execute, evaluate and periodically revise the organization’s annual work plan.
● Ensure that the organization is making steady progress towards meeting its short-term and long-term administrative goals as defined in the Strategic Plan and work plan.
● Exercise responsible stewardship of all resources within the organization and ensure the distribution and allocation of those resources for the optimum balance of artistic excellence, financial strength, institutional integrity, and institutional longevity.
● Counsel Business & HR Manager and Managing Director as needed on staff employment agreements or contract agreements
● Facilitate organization contracts for facilities and IT concerns, seeking competitive bids and ensuring quality contractors through reference checks.
● Develop and maintain procurement procedures in line with our Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) values.
● Evaluate new initiatives suggested by leadership and executive staff against human, financial, time, and other resources. (FP&A)
● A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience, including experience in non-profit accounting, particularly accounting for grants,
reviewing/editing financial statements, creating budgets and forecasts. Experience with ushering a non-profit organization to a clean audit is preferred. Experience at a theatre, education organization, arts organization, or other non-profit is helpful.
● Degree in finance, arts administration, business, or related discipline preferred. ● Adept at conveying complex financial concepts and accounting processes to non-financial management and staff; excellent written communication and presentation skills.
● Broad-based operations and project management experience with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
● Proven experience in organizational improvement or change management. ● Strong technical skills which include experience with accounting software (IStage uses Sage), proficiency with the full suite of MS Office, and advanced skills in Excel. ● Progressive experience in leading a professional staff.
● Demonstrated ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment.
● Self-directed, results-oriented, high performer with a commitment to accuracy. ● Exhibit respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationships.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
● Salary: $80,000-$90,000
● 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
● Paid Time Off: 18 vacation days; 2 personal days; 7 sick days
● Transit/Parking benefit
● Free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.