Assistant Technical Director
- Full Time
REPORTS TO: Technical Director
LOCATION: Bethesda, MD
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full-time – hours are variable. Will include some weekends, evenings, holidays and the annual gala
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Assistant Technical Director is responsible for assisting the Technical Director in the execution of all technical aspects of Imagination Stage programming in order to ensure the safe, efficient, and timely production of all events. The Assistant Technical Director will also assist the Technical Director with the daily operations, supervision, delegation of duties, and administration of the Scene Shop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the planning, evaluation, scheduling, implementation, engineering and supervision of all scenic elements involved in organization programming.
- Collaborates with the Technical Director to ensure that all projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Constructs, load-ins, and strikes scenery and set pieces, through carpentry, welding, rigging, work with plastics, fabrics, and other set related materials in accordance with plans provided.
- Assists in creation of shop working drawings for execution of designs using AutoCAD/Vectorworks.
- Supervises full-time staff, part-time carpenters, technicians, apprentices, interns and volunteers in conjunction with the Technical Director.
- Works with the Technical Director to ensure safe, organized, and efficient working areas in all Imagination Stage scene shops, theatres, and production storage areas.
- Maintains tools and equipment in said locations, and assists in making physical improvements as necessary.
- Assists with purchasing scenic materials and supplies.
- Oversees and maintains stock scenery and shop supply inventory as needed.
- Maintains scene shop storage and offsite storage areas.
- Coordinates and facilitates all truck rental needs and logistics. Typically serves as primary truck driver.
- Serves as emergency technician outside of regular hours in order to assist with the prompt resolution of show-related incidents, and ensure the production can safely proceed.
- Fills in for the Technical Director in their absence, in coordination with the Production Manager.
- Leads certain projects as needed, in coordination with the Technical Director.
- Supports the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible.
- Contributes to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability.
Ideal candidates will have experience working in a professional theatre environment, with previous experience as an Assistant Technical Director preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience in carpentry, welding, or construction environments are encouraged to apply.
- Expertise in carpentry, rigging and welding, using standard theatrical construction techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and create informative and well-organized working drawings using AutoCAD/Vectorworks.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow directions.
- Supervisory and training experience required.
- Experience operating box trucks (up to 26’ in length), or a strong willingness to learn.
- Valid DOT Medical card preferred.
- Strong understanding of shop safety and PPE usage.
- Excellent in-person, email, and phone communication skills.
- General computer skills, including Microsoft Office products and Google Workspace.
- Familiarity with CNC router programming and operation.
- Working knowledge of stage machinery such as motors and pneumatics.
The physical conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to walk and/or stand for long periods
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver up to 50-70 lbs. repeatedly alone, and up to 100 lbs. with others.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Ability to work in high places such as catwalks and scissor lifts.
- Valid driver’s license and able to safely operate a motor vehicle (up to 26’ box truck)
- Ability to successfully obtain a DOT Medical Card.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, and are in line with those of the live performance industry. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work will take place indoors in office, warehouse, and stage settings, with occasional outdoor work in all weather conditions. Lighting conditions vary from dim/dark to very bright and ambient sound levels can vary from very quiet to loud, with variations in duration.
- Salary: $50,000-$58,000
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Transit/Parking benefit (paused until onsite work resumes)
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please email [email protected] using the subject line “Assistant Technical Director” This email should include a resume and portfolio/work samples that demonstrate proficiency in the above requirements. You may also include a cover letter, references, or other materials that support your candidacy. Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.