Assistant Scenic Charge Artist
- Part Time
REPORTS TO: Scenic Charge Artist
LOCATION: Beltsville, MD and Bethesda, MD
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Part time – Guaranteed 1,040 hours per fiscal year (Sept. 1st-Aug. 31st) in exchange for scheduling priority. Hours variable, includes weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be present during all load ins, tech weeks, and strike as required by the Scenic Charge Artist.
JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Scenic Charge is responsible for supporting the Scenic Charge in the successful execution of all painted scenic elements for the professional resident and touring shows and the student production season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acts as a primary scenic painter for Imagination Stage programming
- Works from paint elevations provided by designer, suggests best materials to realize effects, and provide paint samples for designer’s approval
- Collaborates with the Scenic Charge Artist to ensure that all projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Directs overhire painters, contract labor, apprentices, interns and volunteers in conjunction with the Charge Scenic Artist.
- In conjunction with the Charge Scenic Artist, maintains the paint storage and paint deck areas and inventory of available stock. This includes maintaining supplies of standard paints and making use of existing stock when possible for upcoming projects.
- Fills in for the Scenic Charge Artist in their absence, in coordination with the Production Manager.
- Leads certain projects as needed, in coordination with the Technical Director.
- Trains all Apprentices performing painting work and serves as a mentor to Production Apprentices.
- Support the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible
- Contribute to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability
- Knowledge of theater production operations, procedures and design process
- Skill in color mixing, painting techniques, creating special faux and other effects, transferring designer’s elevations to the appropriate scale on stage
- Knowledge of basic maintenance of brushes, rollers and other paint equipment
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of scenic paint
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Demonstrates ability to manage and mentor
- Demonstrates ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver up to 30-50lbs repeatedly either alone or with others
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate with designers, actors, and other staff members
- Affinity for theatre for young audiences and working with students.
- Three years professional scenic painting experience
- Two years professional painting experience and formal scenic painting training
- Five years experience in related fields (ie faux finishing, mural painting, sign painting, etc)
- $22-25/hr, commensurate with experience
- Healthcare Benefits
- Paid Time Off: Prorated Vacation, Personal, and Sick
- Commuter Benefit
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please ask to see our Benefit Summary.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Asst Scenic Charge” in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.