- Full Time
REPORTS TO: Associate Artistic Director
LOCATION: Bethesda, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Full-Time, Monday-Friday, with some nights and weekends
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Assistant Producer is responsible for executing and administrating the producing function of plays and musicals and will play a critical role in operationalizing the artistic programming of Imagination Stage. This is a full-time producing position with a focus on advance planning and new work development; managing all casting, hiring of actors, directors and other guest artists; contract negotiation, writing and administration; as well as liaising and collaborating across departments, and taking on special projects, as assigned.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Producing and Company Management (30%)
- Collaborate closely with Director of Production and guest artist leaders to facilitate joyful creative processes across all Mainstage, Theatre for Change (TfC), Theatre for the Very Young (TVY), and Student Productions.
- Collaborate with Director of Productions on “above-the-line” budget planning, tracking, and reforecasting.
- Execute all salary negotiations for artistic contracts, including those with non-union, Actors’ Equity, SSDC Directors, Musical Directors, and Choreographers.
- Arrange for travel and housing for occasional out-of-town playwrights and other artists.
Operationalizing Artistic Planning (20%)
- Support season planning process: work with senior programming, production, and leadership staff on season calendar; organize script reading process for mainstage; support commissioning processes, guest productions, out-of-town artists, and other special projects.
- Execute the pre-planning for all resident, off-site, and touring shows.
- Co-develop and maintain processes for transparent communication and alignment of expectations between guest artists and IStage Production and Administrative staff.
- In cooperation with Associate Artistic Director, build and maintain IStage relationships with venues for touring and run-outs of IStage shows; coordinate with Production on scheduling and logistics; negotiate contracts with venues and collect fees.
- Schedule and arrange First-rehearsal Meet & Greet for arriving artists with IStage Staff, and be present for signing of actor and stage manager contract signing, and to ensure orientation/HR procedures are followed.
Assistant to Artistic and Associate Artistic Directors (20%)
- Provide administrative support.
- Serve as sounding board in support of planning, problem-solving, smooth running, and quality control of all production efforts
- Assist and support with the programmatic part of fundraising events such as galas or children’s festivals: manage script revisions, hire professional talent, liaise with Director of Production
- Serve as an ambassador for Imagination Stage locally, attending DMV performances to scout for talent, represent IStage at auditions, and industry events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with artists on behalf of Imagination Stage.
- Serve as casting associate for all artistic programs by organizing auditions including Equity EPA’s, managing offers, hiring process, and maintaining casting files.
- Hire, negotiate fees, and write contracts for all professional AEA and non-union actors and directors, musical directors, choreographers for mainstage, education, and touring productions.
- Support the contributions and work objectives of work colleagues, including pitch-hitting when possible
- Contribute to Imagination Stage's anti-racist/anti-oppression organizational goals through strategic partnership, active participation in IDEA initiatives, and rigorous self-reflection and self-accountability
Key Competencies, Skills, and Qualifications
- Artistic Support: The ability to communicate with the artistic director, directors, and other artists about their project in an informed manner.
- Casting: Knowledge of the local talent pool of actors, designers and directors is a plus. Experience setting up auditions, coordinating between directors and actors. Working quickly to replace actors who take other contracts, or become ill, before or during the rehearsal and production process.
- Experience with Unions: IStage regularly hires both non-union and union artists from AEA, USA and SSDC. Familiarity with AEA and other union contracts is a plus.
- Cultural Competence: A sophisticated understanding of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression principles and practices, and the ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Project Management: The ability to handle operational aspects of a project or program, and the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Relentless Curiosity: The ability to productively question the status quo and the underlying assumptions contained therein. Solution-oriented thinking is a must.
- Resource Management: The ability to maximize human and financial resources in keeping with core values.
- Budget Management: The ability to monitor and forecast spending with well-reasoned accuracy.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: $50,000-$58,000
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Transit/Parking benefit
- Free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Assistant Producer” in the subject line.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity, and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community, and. Imagination Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Imagination Stage is dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply for roles that align with their interests and career trajectory. If you meet a majority of the qualifications and see yourself in this role, we would love to see your application. Candidates from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.